Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Journey of a Scarf

This could have been mentioned in the last post, but I thought it deserved its own section since I hope to make this a running section.

Last year, I took a class on drop spindling from my local yarn store Renaissance Yarns and learned all about the joy of making your own yarn using this little tool...

called a drop spindle.  This model is made by Cascade Spindle Company and is called the Little Si.  They name all their spindles after local peaks so even cooler considered I've hiked Little Si twice!

I eventually bought some beautifully dyed fiber...
to spin, with no end-goal in mind.

Then, flipping through an issue of my favorite crochet magazine last year, Interweave Crochet,  I found a pattern combining knitting and crocheting into a cute scarf.  The yarn used reminded me of handspun and I thought, perfect!  So these little sections will chronicle what is already in process and show the journey of making this Lorna's Laces "Mixed Berry" top...

 into the Pink Asters Scarf designed by Tracy St. John
(from the CrochetMe website at link above).

It will be an adventure, so we'll see how it turns out, and I hope to show off all the steps along the way!

No comments: