Sunday, October 16, 2011

7 Quick Takes...Volume 13

1. Last Monday I taught my first Confirmation class and it went pretty well. I wrote the night on the Sacraments from scratch, and overall felt like I got some nice teaching in. The only thing I really would have changed was to put the teens in a more prayerful space for our closing reflection activity. A lot of chatter got going and I don't think they really listened to the song, "How He Loves". Always a lesson learned in youth ministry, right?

2. Speaking of "How He Loves", which was written by John Mark McMillan and made famous by the David Crowder Band, I got a chance to see both bands in concert last Wednesday at the Moore Theatre. Crowder has been a big favorite of mine for a long time, and this will be their last tour, so couldn't miss it, and they put on a great show as usual - two hour set! I had never heard John Mark McMillan before, and now definitely want to check out more by him. I was absolutely floored, however by Gungor, who with their crazy combination of instruments (pump organ, xylophone, classical guitar, cello, beatboxing, beautiful harmonies) made for amazing sounds coming out of only three people. I love their album, but hearing this stripped down acoustic version live was a real treat.

3. It must be concert fever for me, because I'm going to another show this weekend! I'm super excited to go see Death Cab for Cutie and The Head and the Heart for an all about local show. I've followed Death Cab on and off over the years, and still remember seeing Ben Gibbard perform solo with acoustic guitar in a $5 show at the VU Underground Coffeehouse during my Western days. I've also loved The Head and the Heart since they hit the radio waves...what can I say? I'm a sucker for a good banjo.

4. I'm currently taking a continuing education course that we are hosting Valley about Infant Treatment. The content is really interesting and I'm learning a ton, but am super busy since I volunteered to be the on-site contact. A little stressful, to be sure, but worth it for a free course.

5. Another continuing ed course in December is giving me the chance to go to Chicago for about five days. I can't wait, it will be really interesting by someone who is supposed to be an expert in her field ( the course is about walking in kids and picking the best bracing options), and it will give me a chance to visit friends and see my super cute Goddaughter again. Just need to start praying for no ice or snow storms....

6. I've been asked by my pastor to be one of the Pastoral Council members who is on the planning team to help create my parish's next five-year plan. It should be interesting, but likely quite a bit of work. There are quite a few parishoners on the team that I haven't met before, so this will be a nice opportunity to branch out and meet others in my community!

7. Our Halloween Life Night is coming together! It should be quite the experience, but I'll refrain from posting details should teen eyes wander onto this page :) More to follow...

No comments: