Sunday, May 20, 2012

A Year of Holystic Living: Day 1 - Why?

I had a thought this morning as I was getting ready for my day, and in that roundabout way that thoughts often take, it led me to think about this blog.

You see, I started this blog a few years ago, as blogs were starting to come into their own.  Several friends of mine were starting blogs of their own, blogging was popular, and I was busy.  I thought, why not?  And many of you who have followed the blog (if anyone out there still is) have seen me post, then not post, then promise to post some more, and not post.  Usually updates on me, what I'm up to, what I'm crafting, what I'm reading..etc.

But what I've discovered, as I've delved into reading more blogs is that the best blogs are the one with a clear purpose, a plan.  Think Julie and Julia.  For some of my friends who blog faithfully, they often focus on their families, or their faith.  But there is a unifying theme that ties that blog together.  So what about me, with my busy life and schedule, and my attempts to keep my small home under control, while finding time to sleep and relax?  What about my interests in organic food and real food, in natural beauty products and DIY anything?  Is there anything that ties them all together?

And that was my thought this morning...that in all of this busyness, this crazy life, I am looking for simplicity, I'm looking for calm, I'm looking for peace and I'm looking for fulfillment.  I recently read a wonderful little book called Organized Simplicity by Tsh Oxenrider which seemed to hit on a lot of what I was feeling in my busy life.  She talks about identifying your values, prioritzing time, budgeting, cooking and cleaning - all around the theme of simplicity.  (She also has a fabulous blog, Simple Mom that I highly recommend).

So what's with the post title...(and did she notice she spelled Holistic wrong??)  Well I'll start by thinking about the word holistic.  According to Merriam-Webster, the definition is: 


relating to or concerned with wholes or with complete systems rather than with the analysis of, treatment of, or dissection into parts <holistic medicine attempts to treat both the mind and the body> <holistic ecology views humans and the environment as a single system>


and the "wholes" in my life revolve around physical, mental, emotional and most importantly spiritual health.  Somehow all of these have to be in balance.  In my world and in my faith journey, I know that I have to maintain God in the center of all of this, otherwise everything gets thrown out of balance...and when your short on time, prayer and silence are usually the first to go, when they should be the first we turn to.  Hence my spelling of the word "Holystic"...putting the "Holy" in the "whole" which gets my priorities right where they need to be.



I was thinking about the title of my blog and whether or not this whole concept relates.  The title "Wanderings Toward the Narrow Gate" comes from the verse Matthew 7:14 - "For the gate is narrow and the road is hard that leads to life, and there are few who find it."  It's a journey we are all on to find that gate and we often stumble and wander off the path, but with focus our aim can be true, especially if we know what is stated in the Gospel just before the above verse, in verses 7-12:


"Ask, and it will be given to you; search, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened for you. For everyone who asks receives, and everyone who searches finds, and for everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. Is there anyone among you who, if your child asks for bread, will give a stone? Or if the child asks for a fish, will give a snake? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good things to those who ask him! ‘In everything do to others as you would have them do to you; for this is the law and the prophets." 

In my mind, the title of this blog and this purpose to find simplicity do relate beautifully because as we cast off the things that hold us back, we become better able on the right road.  So I hope for the next 365 days, to post on what I'm doing, what I'm discovering to explore all those wholes  in my life and find health and fulfillment in walking that path.  Blog focus?  Check.

No comments: