Hey, 3 for 7, in my blogging world...I'm on a role! I wanted to share one of the newer things I'm doing to keep myself in optimal shape - and this one is not directly related to physical health.
Source: WebMD
I first starting hearing about Lumosity on TV commercials and then through ads on the internet. It claims to use theories of neuroscience and neuroplasticity to gain brain skills. The fact that they even knew the word neuroplasticity was interest-piquing....much of what I do as a physical therapist is based on this research and science. So, considering that there was much you could do without paying for the service, I decided to give it a try. The idea is that you are given a series of games to play and based on your performance you are given a number called your BPI (Brain Performance Index) and the games are increased in challenge based on how you are gaining skills.
While I can't vouch for whether or not the site does all it claims to do, but the games are fun and cognitively challenging, and add a nice mix to my usual Sudoku or Crosswords. And the research does show cognitive activity is linked with a sharper brain later in life. And as someone whose grandmother dealt with Alzheimer's, the more I can do now, the better!
The Stats:
Steps = 899 (I unfortunately learned today that my pedometer does not measure all steps when your pants fit a little loose.) Average steps per day this week =2922
Emails in my inbox = 12,407
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment