One thing that has been sadly neglected is this blog. I love the idea of blogging, I love reading the blogs of friends who honestly have been much better at this than I. But before I chuck the idea of blogging out the window, I'm hoping to give one more go. Not as a resolution, but as a new area of focus. I was looking back at my old posts, and I've decided to revisit that idea of the year of living "Holystically" - my word for combining spiritual health with physical, emotional and mental health to strive to be better overall.
So ignore prior days, and dates. The new year starts now, in 2013. May this be a great year for all of us. Sadly 2012, especially the end was filled with news that was sad or fear-provoking.
I was struck a couple of weeks ago, when I accompanied our teens on our yearly trip to provide dinner and gifts for homeless young people, living on the streets of Capitol Hill. The organization we partner with is decidedly secular, but they know we are people of faith and have great respect for this. As we stood in prayer after the event, a mix of people from our church and the organization, our youth minister asked the group how they had seen Christ present that evening. One of our younger teens, wise beyond his years, spoke beautifully about how if we want to bring Christ into the world, if we want want to change to happen, then WE need to change. We need to be that force of good and happiness in the world so that events like those in Newtown and Portland do not happen. I've reflected on his words as Advent has given way into Christmas, and 2012 has heralded in 2013. It's made me think of a song that is actually one of my favorite Christmas songs, even though it is not traditional and put out by a secular group - "Better Days" by the Goo Goo Dolls. I heard it on the radio the other day and the bridge struck me profoundly:
I wish everyone was loved tonight
And somehow stop this endless fight
Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days.
During Mass today, on this feast of Mary, the Mother of God, Fr. Jim mentioned in his homily how Mary is the perfect model for us as we enter a new year. A young woman who waited in great hope and anticipation for the Lord, who was amazed by Him and pondered what she saw in her heart. A woman who had the faith and the strength to give her yes. Let's all find better days this year. Let's all make better days this year. Let's look to Mary as a model to have deeper faith and trust. May God bless you and yours on this first day of the year.
No comments:
Post a Comment