Yes, I was that kid - the infamous bookworm. I started reading at age 4 and have never really stopped. Trips to the library were always greatly anticipated, books were read covertly under covers long after I was supposed to go to bed. Eventually, The Babysitters Club and Sweet Valley High gave way to Little House on the Prairie and Anne of Green Gables, then historical fiction, then classic literature, modern fiction, non-fiction books on faith and science and biographies...and so much more. These days I don't have the time to read quite as much as I used to, but I still love trips to used book stores and libraries, my bookshelf is full and so is my Kindle.
The other day I heard on the radio that the median number of books read by an American is 6 and the average was 15, based on a recent study by the Pew Research Center. Wow, only 6? I know not everyone is a reader but when I stop to think about how much time is spent on Facebook, or in front of a TV, I wonder how much we're missing out on using our imagination flipping through the pages of a book (or clicking the arrow button, if an e-reader is more your style :) )
So, be above average! (And definitely above median!) What do you think? Can you read more than 6 books this year? More than 15? I'm going to try, and I'll keep you posted on my progress!

No comments:
Post a Comment