Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Day 11: The Best Medicine

So, I had a whole other idea of what I was going to post on next, but a particular theme kept coming into my world the last few days.  It started as I was driving home from church the other day, listening to a podcast and they started talking about laughter.  Not just any laughter though, a real laugh...a belly laugh...the kind  of laugh that starts deep down in your stomach and builds and builds until it erupts, like a volcano through your mouth.   Then, just on Monday I was at my parents' house where my mom watching The Doctors, which was all about, you guessed it, laughter!  What a gift laughter is and how universal it is.

Case in point: I was working with a kiddo at work who I am just getting to know a little better and is lower on the cognitive spectrum. (DISCLAIMER: While I may post anecdotal stories from work, I will never post the names, ages, genders or diagnoses of my patients due to privacy laws.  So please do not ask for this information.  Thank you!)  In trying to engage them to crawl through a tunnel, I crawled through myself, which apparently is about the funniest thing in the world, as this kiddo erupted in chortles of laughter.  Another example: In explaining (or attempting to explain) what heaven will be like during our Life Teen Plus Theology of the Body series, I asked the teens to think about one thing they love more than anything else.  One kid responded "Babies laughing" which made us all smile as we imagined the sound in our own head.

Laughter, more than anything seems to be universal.  Even people born deaf who have never heard laughter, laugh themselves.  People of almost any age laugh, some chuckle, or snort or giggle or squeak (as a dear friend of mine does :) ) and is unique and it is beautiful, and before long usually gets you laughing too.

I think part of holystic living and simple living is more than just getting rid of clutter or good eating or DIY or making time for faith.  These are all key and important, but the truth is that we need to look at why we do all these things.  The reason we set our priorities in order, the reason we try to be healthy and simplify and live green is so that we can ultimately enjoy life more fully.  When are free from the things that weigh us down, we can breathe in a little deeper and take things a little slower.  And when we need a reminder of just how wonderful life is the best thing we an do is laugh.

So find what makes you smile...is it silly comics, or funny pet videos on YouTube?  Funny memories?  A good friend?  Find your medicine and take a dose!

No comments: