Wednesday, February 16, 2011

7 Quick Takes...Volume 10

1. I'm thinking Wednesday will be the best day for the quick takes, since it's my day off, if I sneak a post or two in between, even better! The longer I'm at Valley, the more I'm appreciating my schedule. 10 hour days can be quite the long haul sometimes, but having Wednesdays off means that I never have to work more than two days without getting a break to recharge.

2. Speaking of recharging...this weekend our Life Teen Core, Band, Retreat and Outreach groups will be headed to lovely Seabeck for a recharging and reconnecting adult retreat. Those of you who work in youth ministry, or really any kind of ministry, know that right about halfway through the year, the burnout begins. It takes a lot of energy and planning, and often emotional investment and that can take a toll, especially if your own prayer and sacramental life isn't where it should be. I'm looking very forward to the weekend spent with friends. My Core Team small group has prepared a session for the weekend on current youth culture...should be interesting!

3. Finally booked my hotel this week for my continuing education class next weekend in LA! Before you get too jealous, just remember I will be inside most of the time taking classes. The weekend is on NDT handling for pediatrics.....which basically means ways to hold kids and help them move in good patterns, helping their muscles fire correctly to facilitate the movements you want. Mouthful enough? Anyway, I'm really looking forward to it and applying the techniques I learn to my kiddos!

4. Still waiting on word for moving into the condo I'm planning to rent, but already plotting what to do with the patio space.

I've been doing some reading up on growing your own herbs and veggies in containers. I'm thinking of giving it a try and am planning on starting at least some seeds soon to be ready to transplant after last frost. I will be sure to post updates.

5. Last Sunday, my Core Team small group presented our revamped night on the Saints. We tweaked a prepared night with some of our own ideas and it went off great. Even better, we got some great feedback from the other Core members and are putting together a guide for the night so that it can be integrated into our Confirmation curriculum. I think it will be great as an active night, as several teens told me during their interviews that they had a hard time just sitting and listening, which I can appreciate. Also, I'm hopeful that this intro to the saints will better prepare them for selecting their Confirmation saint.

6. In more Confirmation news, and not from St. John's, my friend Val recently asked me to give a talk on the Gifts and Fruits of the Holy Spirit for her Confirmation Retreat for Bl. Teresa of Calcutta in March. It will basically be a repeat of a talk I gave for her while she was at St. Cecilia's a few years ago. Looking at the talk now, though, I have a feeling I'm going to change it around a bit though. Funny, how a few more years of youth ministry experience can change your perspective on how you organize things!

7. My friend Michelle, who I mentioned in my last post, is still on bedrest but doing great. Baby is still inside growing stronger, but keep sending those prayers her way!

No comments: