Last Wednesday I submitted my choices for my acute care internship...now it's just wait and see :) For those of you who I haven't told much about my program here's the way it works...
The first two years of the three year program we spend in the classroom, cramming our heads full of anatomy, physiology, tests and clinical reasoning skills. Amazingly enough, that two year block comes to an end for me this summer in early August. We have one, short four week clinical in the summer between our first and second years. I spent my time at Apple Physical Therapy in Federal Way brushing up on my outpatient skills. During the third year, we have three different 10 week clinicals, one each quarter in the following areas: rehab, acute care (hospital) and outpatient orthopedic. One must be out of the Seattle area, and from all four, including our first four-weeker, one must be in a rural location.
We pick clinicals based on calendar year, not academic year, so last year we picked for 2009 - our first 10 week clinical in the fall. I'll be at St. Luke's Rehab Hospital Pediatric Outpatient Clinic doing a pediatric internship which counts as my rehab clinical. I'm SUPER excited about this one because the more I'm in the program, the more I'm sure I want to do pediatrics. I'm excited for the hands-on experience. Now we're picking for 2010. Acute sites are submitted and I'm hoping to stay in the Seattle area, so we'll see what happens. The plan in the back of my mind is that if I get to do my acute in Seattle, I can head north to Bellingham and do my outpatient/rural internship in that area. We'll see..thankfully in about three weeks I'll finally know what my year next year will look like.
On a completely unrelated topic...I'm most definitely a fan of our new Major League Soccer Team, the Sounders FC who are starting off with a great season. Seattle has been so overtaken with soccer love that the Pemco Insurance Company added a new Northwest Profile poking fun at the soccer fans: The "I know I am, I'm sure I am" Sounders FC Fan. They played the Colorado Rapids on Saturday - check out this article in the Denver Post about the sheer awesomeness of our team! The Rapids are in Seattle tomorrow for a qualifying match for the US Open Cup and I'm going! It will be my first Sounders game - the game on Saturday ended in a 2-2 draw so Tuesday's game should be a great rematch to watch!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment