Friday, February 29, 2008
A Night at the Opera
There's a first time for everything right? Well, a couple of nights ago was my first time experiencing the art form that is opera during a trip to see Seattle Opera's production of Puccini's "Tosca". Now knowing myself, as I do, I'm really surprised I haven't dabbled in this art form before. After all, I love classical music and classically trained voices, as well as the stage - plays and musical theatre. However while opera encompasses both of these, it is also unique unto itself. My foray into opera began a few weeks ago when one of my classmates, who had been part of an opera club in high school, suggested we gather enough people to get a group rate. I was game to go and am so glad I did. The opera was full of all sorts of sordid details....love, murder, jealousy - as any tragic story should be. The actors were wonderful and their voices just beautiful. With English subtitles discreetly displayed on a screen above the stage you didn't even have to speak Italian to enjoy it. At times, I would even stop reading the subtitles and just listen to an aria being sung. Additionally the sets were gorgeous, Act I nailed an Italian church spot on. Now I know opera isn't everyone's cup of tea...too many high notes, or what is perceived as "overacting", but I really enjoyed myself. If you haven't ever given opera a try, think about it, you might be pleasantly surprised. And you also just might see me there, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thanks Jess, for the prayers and good wishes! :) Prayers are greatly appreciated!!! :) I didn't know you had a blog on here, I added you to our blog list! :) God bless girl!
-Bekah
Post a Comment